It’s very easy to get into a rut, to find yourself stuck in an unproductive and even sometimes destructive pattern of living. I am in that place where I could so easily fall into a rut. All the ingredients are there: I’m frustrated, bored, dissatisfied, afraid, and stressed. And I feel like I have absolutely no control over the things that are making me unhappy. I feel like my fate is in someone else’s hands, and that is a very discomfiting feeling. The reality really is that I do have a choice, but it’s not one that I desire to exercise.
So here’s what I’m doing to avoid getting into a rut. I’m doing my best to stay as productive as I possibly can.
– I’m not sleeping in
– I’m not watching TV – if I do watch something it’s intentional
– Limiting myself to one movie every few days
– Spending time in the office or living room, not in the bedroom (because then I’ll just sleep)
– Playing video games almost as regularly as when I was working — not much more
– Reading books… working my way through the pile I’ve been collecting and revisiting some old titles
– Working on my programming stuff and my websites
– Picking new skills to learn and master
– Walking/hiking often
– Oh, and school work too ofcourse 🙂
… among other things
Basically, keeping myself busy and my mind stimulated. I figure if I just keep going then I won’t get into a slump and start feeling sorry for myself, which is possibly the most self-destructive thing anyone can ever do.